So I wrote a post about the Nexus line and VoLTE back in November 2012 when the Nexus 4 was announced without LTE and created the a backlash of various commenting. You can read the entire post here: The Nexus Line and VoLTE…Why it Matters
They key points of that post..well my predictions over the next 2 years were..
- Google releasing a Nexus device unlocked with LTE on all carriers using VoLTE
- VoLTE going live nationwide within a year
- Unlimited Data Plans making their way back
- Unlocked Better priced Contract Free Mobile devices. No more $650 Off contract phones
- More competition, with more and more customers becoming month to month non contract users
Well fast forward 8 months and one major announcement just occurred,http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57591213-94/verizon-says-first-lte-only-phones-to-arrive-in-late-2014/, yes Verizon will pushing LTE only phones across the network late in 2014.
What do you all think? I think LTE only phones will be the next big thing in mobile wireless service? With major carriers like Verizon not able to control or locked down LTE only phones, due to Open Access rules, I think competition and pricing of phones will get better for the consumer. And Google will finally be able to offer the Nexus on every carrier.